Monday, January 2, 2012

A Place To Rest

As much as I love my craft -  I love it best -  when there is a depth to its purpose

An old and friend approached me about making an urn for the final resting place of his recently passed and long time four legged companion.

At first the project felt to be a daunting task. Fret with concerns about creating a suitable vessel, I procrastinated by re-designing on paper, and in my head, instead of using my hands. A common (I think) but time consuming error.

The morning I finally laid out the blocks of wood and began piecing the design together in a solid form, everything changed.
Turning the columns

The turning of the columns and the fitting of the parts chose their own alignments and proportions, and the hours swept by without notice. Covered in wood shavings and absorbed in the process, my hesitations took their well deserved place on the floor alongside the chips and dust.

The finished parts













2 comments :